Sunday, August 19, 2012

Two Dog Night

Reacher spends nights in a crate where he's very much at home. Vega has graduated to guard duty so she sleeps on the floor in my bedroom. Occasionally, if I'm feeling generous I'll give Reacher a shot at sleeping upstairs, too.

On those evenings, I make sure the bedroom door, the bathroom door and the closet door are all closed tight. The dresser and the nightstand must be free of temptation. No books, no magazines, no dangling cell phone charger cords. Because I believe Reacher starts dreaming about what he can get into while he's running up the steps.

This being the weekend, I allowed Reacher upstairs for a sleepover. I checked the doors and all the surfaces then I turned out the lights. 

About 2 a.m. I felt a presence in the bed. It was Reacher. I'm not exactly sure how long he had been snoozing there, but he got a rude awakening when I shoved him to the floor.  I woke again at 4:15 because Reacher's back was firmly pressed against mine. I flung him - not very gracefully - off the bed. When the alarm went off, he was curled up with his head on my feet. I promptly kicked him out and headed for the shower.

As for Vega, she slept through it all.

What have I learned? Reacher needs to sleep in the crate and nowhere but the crate. And that's the way it will be sleepily ever after.


No comments:

Post a Comment