Saturday, August 25, 2012

Motherly Instinct



I admit I'm still not 100% sure Vega is pregnant, but there continue to be signs that point to her impending motherhood.
 
Today, I found a stuffed toy I bought a few weeks ago for Reacher. It has a squeaker inside so I thought it would be perfect for teaching the recall command. After all, a squeak should get him  excited, right?
 
I was right, it did. But I was wrong to use it for training. Evan told me Reacher should be responding to my voice command not cueing off a squeak.

So, that was the end of that. Until today.

I found the stuffed puppy on top of the refrigerator and decided the dogs might as well have it - not for training, but for fun. Reacher was outside having a wild time at the moment, so I handed it to Vega. She has been carrying it around or lying next to it ever since. And she's so gentle with it, the puppy hasn't squeaked once.

Once Reacher spied the stuffed animal he's been on a mission to steal it. But without success.

Vega likes to play keep-away from Reacher with tennis balls and other toys, but whatever it is gets traded back and forth eventually. Not so with this stuffed animal. 

Reacher has gone in for the snatch a couple of times and Vega has growled and snapped at him like never before. He's backed off for now but I doubt he's completely given up. I think this could be a preview of things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment