Thursday, August 9, 2012

Double-Dog Walking

Having two large, high-energy dogs like Reacher and Vega in my life is kind of like having two personal trainers. Even if I'm not in the mood to hit the road, my four-legged friends remind me it's time to get moving!

I've been walking faithfully at least once most every day since late November when Reacher was old enough to handle it. Not a leisurely, stop-and-smell-the-roses kind of stroll. But a vigorous walk of a mile or two--or three.

Once Vega entered our lives, I knew she deserved a walk, but could I really handle both dogs at once? I wasn't sure. So, I started walking both dogs, but separately. With all that tag-team walking I was really logging the miles. And the time. I needed to do something about that.

Since both Reacher and Vega are obedience trained Evan, our trainer, explained that walking them together would be no big deal. So, one day I put them to the test. Even though they were originally trained to walk on my left side, I found it most comfortable to walk Reacher on the left and Vega on the right. Reacher was already used to his spot. And Vega didn't seem to mind the switch. All three of us are comfortable with the arrangement.

Other walkers, joggers and bike riders take note as we head down the sidewalk. Maybe they're impressed that my dogs are so well behaved. Or maybe a Boxer / German Shepherd duo is just a little bit intimidating. We have noticed that some people cross to the other side of the road.

In any case, my dogs walk when I walk. And keep pace with me whenever I speed up or slow down. They sit when I stop. Then wait for me to step off again with my left foot. That's their signal that it's time to resume our double-dog walking.  



1 comment:

  1. Anyone can apply for dog walking jobs but those individuals who know better about different various breeds of dogs, their behavior, common diseases, as well as mood swings will get quick jobs.

    Dog Walking Vaughan

    ReplyDelete