Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Fallen Star


Vega. My shining star--until tonight.
Vega is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra, the fifth brightest star in the night sky and the second brightest star in the celestial hemisphere. Vega is certainly a star among dogs in my house. In fact, I was planning on singing--well, blogging--her praises tonight. That is, until I got home.  

Vega and I have gotten to know each other pretty well over the last few months. I've come to trust her when I call, protect me if necessary and behave herself in the house. While she is crate-trained and quite comfortable there, I have been allowing her more and more freedom out of the crate while I'm gone.

I started by leaving her home alone for 20-30 minutes at a time and have increased that gradually to several hours without a problem. Vega had the house to herself for a few hours this afternoon. So, when I had to be away again briefly this evening, I didn't hesitate leaving her "sans crate." I came home and it was obvious we had both made a big mistake.

I found a chewed up cellophane window of an envelope with just enough letters showing that I can tell the "before version" read: IMPORTANT BILLING INFORMATION INSIDE. As yet, I haven't identified the missing bill. I just hope I've already sent the payment. 

The evidence.

In addition, I found one pointy remain of a starfish I brought back from a trip to Cancun more than 30 years ago. 


It's disappointing. My star ate a star. That makes her a little less heavenly tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment