Friday, August 17, 2012

Getting In Gear

When my boys were young it seems like going shopping always resulted in a purchase for them rather than me. Now that I'm training two dogs, it's the same story.

I'm not talking about dog clothing and accessories. Frankly, I'd be too embarrassed to walk a dog wearing an outfit and I'm pretty sure the dogs would be embarrassed, too. I'm not talking about toys either. Reacher is just as happy with "green" toys like sticks, pinecones and the occasional do-it-yourself hole.

I'm talking about equipment. Dog gear like leather leashes, for example. Both dogs have a four-foot leather leash. But, I decided I needed another one that's six feet long for Vega and protection training. I have a nylon 12' long line, but wouldn't a 25' foot version be even better? Of course! That's why I just said yes to a 25' nylon working line for bite work.

And now that I'm working on off-leash obedience with Reacher, my very own e-collar would be nice. It would even allow me to work on correcting some of Reacher's in-the-house behaviors like surfing the kitchen counter, for example. I tell myself that's a lot of bang for the buck. I have my eye on the Element 302M by Dogtra. It's a two-dog model, naturally. 

Then there are collars. Each dog has a pinch collar, but they're nothing special. I like this Sprenger stainless steel model so much better than the ones I have. It doesn't even look like a pinch collar. It's  made in Germany and comes with a lifetime warranty. Only the finest will do. It's on my list. Of course, I need two.

I could go on. But you get the idea. 

Admittedly, I'm not the top dog handler out there. But when my dogs have all the best gear, I can at least look the part.
 A complete line of dog gear, including these products, is available at www.ProK9Equipment.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment