Friday, August 3, 2012

Then Along Came Vega

My first look at Vega.
Although, I was an equal opportunity dog breed lover most of my life, I guess I considered myself a Boxer person after choosing three in a row. Of course, my trainer Evan was always singing the praises of his GSDs (German Shepherd Dogs) and I was listening. But I was nowhere near ready to join the choir.  

Then one day he sent me an out-of-the-blue text message about a German Shepherd named Vega along with this picture. Allow me to paraphrase: Check out Vega! She's obedience trained! She comes from Czech lines! She has all her shots! She has a great temperament! She needs a good home! You'd be perfect!

I admit, she was an amazing-looking dog and had lots of great qualities. But I was happy with my one-dog family. I was too busy for another dog. In fact, I'd be nuts to get another dog. NO!

Besides being a talented dog trainer, Evan's a darned good salesman. A few weeks later, Vega was mine. 

Turns out, Vega is all the things Evan said she was, and then some.  She's chill in the house, but high energy outside. She's agile and athletic, with wide open drive, keen intelligence, steadfast loyalty and correct confirmation. I love her. And Reacher loves her, too. 

German Shepherds are working dogs and Vega is no exception. While I'm taking Reacher through obedience training, Vega and I have started protection work. She's a natural. I seem to be the one with the most to learn.  

From the start, the plan has been to breed Vega with Evan's Shepherd Remy. We expect phenomenal puppies that are structurally sound with square confirmation, balanced temperament and balanced drive for work and companion homes. More about that soon.

Next up: Remy




No comments:

Post a Comment