Thursday, August 16, 2012

Here Comes Reacher!

To come or not to come? That is the question.
We just returned from our training session. Reacher and I are working on off-leash obedience, but we're still using the long line for a back-up because my boy can't be trusted. At least not yet.

He's heeling well and sitting well. I can down him from a distance and return him to a sit. But when I call, "Reacher, here!", he may come. Or he may not.

Sometimes he remains stock still and doesn't move a muscle. Other times, if he's wearing an e-collar and gets some stimulation to encourage him, he might come. Or he might bolt. But with the long line tied around my waist as a back-up, if he tries to run off he gets a reality check as soon as the slack runs out.

Today, we used a long line and a short leash, working on a restrained recall. The point is to build his excitement level but make sure he stays until I call.

First try: I called, "Here!" Reacher just sat there before coming reluctantly. I offered to bring out the hot dogs. I got a reminder: we're finished with hot dogs.

Try again. I called, "Here!" and clapped my hands. Reacher came but I got a reminder: no clapping allowed. Just a voice command.

Next: I called, "Here" and patted my legs. Reacher came, but I got a reminder: No patting the legs. Just a voice command. Whoops.

Last time: I called, "Here." Reacher came.

The lesson: Sometimes the handler needs as much training as the dog.



No comments:

Post a Comment