Friday, August 24, 2012

Mood-Altering Dogs

After a week that was exhausting, stressful and emotionally draining, it was truly a pleasure to come home this evening to a couple of dogs. Reacher and Vega are guaranteed to lift my spirits without even trying. It's amazing what one wagging tail - Vega's, and one wiggling rear end - Reacher's, can do.

It's obvious my dogs love me no matter what mood I'm in or what time I come home. And even if I complain about their dirty paws or too much dog hair, they act like I just told them they won the lottery. Of course, they don't argue or complain. And all they really need each day is a bowl of dog food, a full water dish and regular trips outside.

They do appreciate a daily walk. It's something I enjoy doing for them but it's something they really are doing for me. Taking to the sidewalk not only burns calories and strengthens the heart, lungs and legs, it decreases stress. In other words, I come back home in a better mood.

I can always count on my two dogs to amuse me when I need it most. Reacher is an instigator who'll demand a game of tag while Vega prefers keep-away with a toy Reacher likes most. There's at least one wrestling match each day that's always noisy but mostly harmless. 

So, I'm sure no matter what kind of day lies ahead for me tomorrow, I can count on my dogs to get me through.


No comments:

Post a Comment