Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What's In A Name?

Color-coded puppies.
After all my blogging about names for this litter of puppies, all my themes are out the window. If you recall, I had star names, German names, girls' names that ended in "a"/boys' names that ended in "o," names of characters from children's literature and names of cocktails. And those were just the ones I posted. I was all about a beer theme most recently.

For the first ten days or so, the litter was themeless and nameless simply because it was just too hard to tell the puppies apart. They were all about the same size and their coloring was basic black.

Last Tuesday it was decided the puppies were grown up enough for collars. They are color-coded like this: boys wearing red, blue, green and green/orange; girls wearing solid yellow, solid orange, yellow/orange and orange/green.

The boy that ended up with the red collar happens to be the chunkiest puppy and right away was dubbed Big Red. David decided he wants to be a GSD owner and named his pick Panzer after the German tank. Over the weekend, a couple came to choose a female and will likely call her Reina (pronounced rain-a), the Spanish word for queen. So, having a theme isn't really working out.

I still like many of the star names and am calling the little girl with the yellow collar Lyra because she looks most like her star-studded mother Vega. I named the two other females Lola and Zelda just because they're girls' names that end in "a" and I like them. For some reason - maybe because it was his birthday last week - I agreed to let David play my name game. He chose Bronson and Titan for the two remaining males.

As it turns out, there is no theme. But, to very loosely paraphrase Shakespeare: "A puppy by any name is still very sweet."



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. I just watched the nursing video. The sound and the little legs scurrying in the air. I am weak in the knees. Sooooo sweet!

    ReplyDelete