Friday, October 19, 2012

Scrambled Puppies

 
This morning, I got up and got dressed as usual. I headed downstairs, turned on the lights, let Vega out of the garage and Reacher out of his crate. Then I fed the two dogs, took them outside and proceeded to make breakfast.

As I was about to begin eating, I heard the puppies yelping in the garage. Vega and Reacher both went down to check it out. When I got there, six puppies had squeezed through the gap between the top and bottom doors of the whelping box and were exploring the brand new world of the garage floor. The other two were on their way to join their brothers and sisters. 
To add to the fun, Vega was herding Reacher - who was fascinated by all the activity - away from her family while I tried to round up the puppies. Problem was I really had no place to put them where they would stay put. There were a few frantic moments as I contemplated my next move.
 
I checked the whelping box double doors. They were latched but somehow off kilter causing a bigger gap at one end than the other. I fixed that issue, but didn't completely trust the doors would stay that way. Looking around the garage, I noticed two tabletop halves to the drinking game corn hole (thanks, Charlie) and I propped those against the whelping box door. I held the tabletop pieces in place with three heavy ceramic planters.

As an added precaution, I arranged the Superyard XT Portable Playard I'm borrowing from a friend, around the end of the whelping box. Then I scooped up the puppies two by two and put them back in the box. Problem solved!!
That's one way to start the day. Scrambled puppies instead of breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment