Saturday, October 27, 2012

Puppy Progress


Changes are coming fast and furious for my puppies these days. In just a week, this litter of eight has learned to climb over the door of the whelping box. It now remains open and the pups have no trouble going up and down the box's short step on their clumsy little legs. They can also climb up, over and back into the plastic kiddie pool they were born in. They've got sharp little teeth and pointy little toenails that have just received their first clipping.

Stand foot in one dish, eat out of the other.

But the biggest milestone of all is one Vega is celebrating. They have begun to eat puppy food! Or should I say, puppy porridge that I make with dry kibble and water. They had their first taste of it this morning and they lapped it up like eight little champs. That was after they walked through it and received a dripping wet coating of it on their paws and legs.

The puppy food means Vega's days of nursing are numbered. And if she could, I'm sure Vega would be counting them down. Right now, she has to be coaxed to nurse her crew. At night while I'm sleeping or if I'm away from the house, I seriously doubt she's doing her motherly duty.
Easy does it!

So, I sit with her and offer encouragement, but when she gets bit or scratched or pulled on too vigorously, she growls at the offending pup, stands up and simply walks out. It's as if she's saying, "I quit!"

It won't be long and she can quit completely. Vega seems anxious to get her old life back. She's enjoying a short daily walk with Reacher and is even starting to play and run with him a bit just like the "old days." He likes having his gal pal back, too.


1 comment: