Saturday, October 6, 2012

Puppy Love

Eight puppies at seven days.
These litter of puppies is getting in the way of blogging. And cleaning. And cooking. And laundry. And most everything else in my life.
 
Since Vega is completely in charge of their care and feeding at this point, there's really nothing for me to do puppy-wise. Except enjoy them. 
 
For the first several days, the happy family was in my bedroom so I'd lie across the bed and just watch them sleep and nurse and squirm and scoot around. This happened even in the wee hours of the morning.
 
Then I decided I needed a full night's sleep, so I moved everyone to the garage. It's where I spend a lot of my waking hours, too. In fact, right now, my computer and I are inside the whelping box with Vega and her puppies. They are all bellied up to the bar and making those contented nursing noises. 
Upside down diner.
 
There is a lot of jockeying for position. Because unless Vega is lying just right, it's difficult for all eight to nurse at once. Usually two are awaiting a turn and they are not patient about it. But eventually, one of the nursing puppies peels off, passes out and another takes its place. Then everyone is satisfied.  
 
Puppies grow up and move on much faster than children. Which means our time together is rapidly ticking by. So, the cleaning can wait. The cooking can wait. The laundry can wait. Right now, I only have time for puppy love.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Liz. This is so precious I am all choked up. So sweet and wonderful. I am so happy you get to see all of it. The kids and I will need to visit!

    ReplyDelete