Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Puppy Watch Continues

The whelping box
There's been a lot of action at the house this evening. And it hasn't been Vega delivering her puppies. It's been my friend Kyle delivering and assembling the whelping box. My friend Emily who stopped by to see my big mama. Evan who was here to check out the whelping box. Charlie who came to cut the grass but joined the fun in the garage when he was finished. Reacher who naturally tried to be the life of the party. And Vega who spent the whole time pacing and panting and really didn't care what the excitement was all about. Even though it was all about her.

Judging from her behavior, Vega's got to be very close to having her puppies. She has refused food and water all day long. She's been panting a lot and giving me the sad face. And right now she is on the family room couch just trying to get comfortable, I guess.

This is the first time she has ever jumped up on a piece of furniture. And of course, I'm feeling too sorry for her to put her back on the floor. I've also been worried that she might get dehydrated so I've even been trying to feed her ice cubes from the palm of my hand. 

It may be a very long night. I'm not sure how much sleep either of us are going to get. Especially if the puppies start arriving.

I'm afraid between Vega and I it's pretty much like the blind leading the blind. Yes, I've had babies. But I was in a hospital with a doctor, nurses and an entire medical staff at my disposal. In this situation, I feel more like Prissy in Gone With The Wind who uttered those famous words: "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies!"

In my case, "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' puppies!" But I know I'm about to learn.

1 comment: