Sunday, September 2, 2012

Dog In The Hole

Going down.
This afternoon Reacher was up to his old tricks. Which means he was digging, digging, digging. He rediscovered a hole he had started weeks ago and abandoned. But today it suddenly seemed to have new allure.

Turns out Reacher wasn't interested in making the hole bigger. It was depth he was after. Once he got what seemed like buckets of dirt out of the way, he had unearthed a crumbling root at the base of this loblolly pine. It appeared to be a lot of work for a rotten piece of wood, but then I'm not a dog.


I was on hand to watch the entire project. I admit I neither attempted to stop or discourage Reacher's digging. His project was so entertaining I was there recording his progress every step of the way.

Vega, who has been disinterested in Reacher lately, even came over to check out the commotion. Reacher was so proud of himself apparently, he allowed her to take a look. I think she was impressed. I know I was.

Not done yet.
The only concern I have is the root. Which tree does it belong to? Has that root been dead for a long time or did the previous digging lead to its demise? Do old roots die and new ones take over? Can a 53 pound Boxer take down a 90' loblolly pine? Let's hope not. 

Part of the prize -- a piece of rotten root. 
 
Reacher's Sunday project.

No comments:

Post a Comment