Friday, September 7, 2012

Dogs Seeking Attention

Vega's condition is becoming more and more apparent each day. And along with her growing belly has come her growing desire for attention. In fact, she has just thrown herself across my lap and is wagging her tail and whining. I do not finding this behavior as comforting as she does.

Lately, it seems all she wants is me. She is definitely not finding Reacher entertaining. In fact, she is avoiding most all of his playful advances. Since Reacher can't get her attention, he is seeking mine. In all the wrong ways.

 Pillows are now atop the bookshelf, safe from Reacher. 
For one thing, he's develped a taste for pillows. At every opportunity he is removing them from couches, chairs, beds -- anywhere he can find them -- shaking them furiously, then laying down and chewing the corners. So far, I've been able to retrieve each one and stash it on top of the book shelf before any real damage has been done. 

I can't say the same for Trinity by Leon Uris or Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell. They have both been personally dog-eared by Reacher.

Tonight he has also removed the comforter from his crate and began to pull out the stuffing. I tossed it over the gate and out of reach. Then he turned his attention and his mouth to the kitchen rug. I tossed it over the gate. Next, it was the mat under his water bowl. I tossed it over the gate. He began gnawing the gate.

When I put a stop to that, he put himself in his crate and is currently trying to claw his way through the bottom even though the door is wide open.

He's certainly got my attention. But not for long. I'm about to close his crate, turn off the lights and head upstairs for the night. I'll attend to Reacher in the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment