Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Park It!

Q. What do you do when you have a VERY pregnant German Shepherd who doesn't want to be bothered AT ALL and a VERY exuberant, high-energy Boxer who might be a year old but is still a puppy through and through?

A. You take the crazy Boxer boy to the dog park in the hopes that it will wear him out for the evening.

Before Vega, Reacher and I would visit the dog park regularly. For the same reason. To wear the boy out. He would run, chase, be chased, jump, run, chase, be chased -- over and over again until he dropped. Which, of course, was the whole idea.

This evening, I decided if it worked before, it could work again.

Vega stayed home and enjoyed the peace and quiet while Reacher and I were away. And just in case Evan is reading this post, I want you to know that before I let him run wild, Reacher and I worked obedience. We practiced heeling -- changing pace, stopping, turning, etc. Reacher did quite well, I might add. On the leash, he is usually a model student. In the house and the yard, it's another story.

After our homework, I let Reacher cut loose at the dog park. He romped with a Terrier mix, two Lab puppies, a Goldendoodle, a couple of Huskies, a Basset Hound, a feisty Yorkshire Terrier and a Lab mix. At last, his tongue was hanging near the ground and he laid down to survey the scene. It was time to go.

Home again, he spent quite awhile splayed out on the kitchen floor. I had dinner. Both the dogs ate. I took them out. Vega relaxed. Reacher spent some time amusing himself with a tennis ball. But finally, he is spent. Hallelujah!

Right now, Vega is on the floor next to the bed. I am in the bed about to resume reading the newly released Lee Child novel featuring Reacher's namesake, Jack Reacher. As for the canine Reacher ... as you can see, he is in the bed, too. I know it's not a good idea. But at least Vega and I are happy.

1 comment:

  1. So funny, i can relate to many of your comments...except i have kids :). A calm 7 year old girl and a 2 year old energetic boy ...sounds like u r reliving ur young mother days!! Can't wait to see the puppies and we'll have to think how we can keep reacher happy through all this. He's probably like, "lets have these babies already so we can get back to life". Apparently, he's a life in the fast lane kinda guy.

    ReplyDelete