Friday, February 7, 2014

Lovely Mud

Atlanta has recently posted it's fifth rainiest year on record which might be why I'm feeling a bit like Mrs. Wishy-Washy. In case you're not familiar with this famous children's book character created by author Joy Cowley, let me explain.

Mrs. Wishy-Washy lives on a farm with three barnyard animals. The animals are known for getting dirty and Mrs. Wishy-Washy is known for her failed attempts at keeping them clean. The animals' favorite line is, "Lovely mud."

I don't live on a farm, but I do live on a wooded lot. What it lacks in grass it makes up for in dirt. Add all the rain I mentioned earlier and you've got mud. Got the picture?

Now, substitute three dogs for Mrs. Wishy-Washy's barnyard animals. It's more or less the  the story of my recent life.

Of course, a little rain doesn't deter Reacher, Vega and Panzer from a good romp around the yard. Even if I limit their outings, I'm bound to end up with 12 muddy paws every time. Picture those paws with mud clumped under the toenails and between the pads on their feet. I'm sure you agree, there's no way one dog, much less three, can be allowed back in the house in that condition.

So, like Mrs. Wishy-Washy, I get out a tub. Then dog by dog, I begin the clean-up process. Or to quote the book, "Wishy-washy, wishy-washy." More accurately, I dip each paw into the water, swish it around and wipe it dry with one of the towels I keep in a bucket near the back door. It's a time-consuming operation, but I feel good as I release each dog into the house.

"That's better," said Mrs. Wishy-Washy.

But sooner or later, all three have to go out again.

Away goes Reacher.

Away goes Vega.

Away goes Panzer.

"Oh, lovely mud," they said.

No comments:

Post a Comment