Thursday, July 4, 2013

Rain, Rain, Go Away


On rainy days, the energy that Reacher, Vega and Panzer usually expend on a brisk walk or a good run gets channeled indoors. And while I am perfectly content to curl up with a good book when the skies open up, the dogs don't see things quite the same way.

So, what's a three-dog owner to do when facing a forecast of 100% rain all weekend long? Throw caution - and good sense - to the wind.
That means heading to the dog park with all of them - because no one else is fool enough to be there.

The park is polka-dotted with puddles, not to mention mud, and the rain continues to come down at a steady pace.

Neither Reacher, Vega or Panzer seem to notice. They have the place to themselves and take off at a dead run once the enter the gate. They spend the next hour or so chasing balls and each other.

I am wearing a rain slicker, so even I am enjoying myself, mostly because I am enjoying them. And of course, I am looking forward to a quiet evening with that good book I mentioned earlier.

As time ticks by, the dogs are becoming muddier and muddier, but I prefer to think of it as more and more worn out.

When I deem they are tired enough, I call it a day and herd my three friends back into the van. Once home, I corrall them one by one into the shower for a good scrub. Of course, following that procedure a thorough bathroom scrubbing is required as well as a load of laundry to wash and dry the dog towels.

To those of you who may not think all that work was worth the effort, I say you're all wet.



  




No comments:

Post a Comment