Saturday, December 15, 2012

Going Up

Panzer at 12 weeks old
I've witnessed many little miracles during my German Shepherd puppy experience, the most recent one being the rising of the ears. Unlike a Boxer's ears which fold over and hang down unless cropped, German Shepherd ears are naturally pointed and stand at attention. They start rising of their own accord beginning when the puppy is a couple of months old and are generally fully erect at about six months of age.

I'm not sure how the other seven puppies' ears are progressing, but Panzer's ears are on their way up, although the left one is currently listing to the right, a little like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Hopefully, it will straighten out all by itself.

If not, there's a lot of advice out there on taping ears to help them stand. I've had some experience with that myself. I regret to admit it, but I had my first Boxer's ears cropped. It's a surgical procedure and much of the ear is actually trimmed away. Then after the ears heal, the taping begins. 

Striker had two white cones on the top of his head for longer than I like to remember. Every week or so, the tape was unwound so the ears could rest. I was vigilant and Striker never complained. After weeks of repeated taping, the cartilage hardened and his ears pointed heavenward - permanently.

Panzer's ears haven't reached their final destination yet, but they are headed in the right direction. I'm counting on Mother Nature to finish the job. She hasn't let me down yet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment