Sunday, November 4, 2012

Grown Up Pups


Lyra
In just five short weeks, these puppies have grown from eyes-closed, contented little creatures to four- and five-pound+ bundles of boundless energy. Miraculously, they've turned into real dogs. They're just smaller. They run, jump, climb, stand on their hind legs, chew, whine, bark and growl. They have sharp little teeth, eat puppy food and are getting along quite well without their mama, Vega.

In fact, they are getting ready to go to their forever homes very soon. Fortunately, all eight puppies are spoken for. And after their second deworming and first set of shots on Friday, some of them will be leaving as soon as next weekend.

I'm not sure I'm ready for them to go. Admittedly, they have become more and more work as the days have ticked past. They're demanding and boisterous. And even if they are fast asleep in a tangled heap, they erupt like an anthill as soon as I open the garage door. 


Panzer
Vega has given up both her nursing and clean-up responsibilities so I've had to take over. That means I've been blending puppy porridge, mopping spilled water and constantly sweeping up cedar shavings. And when I'm not handling those housekeeping chores, I'm often on the floor in the garage or the kitchen or even outside letting them crawl all over me and laughing at their funny puppy ways.

When they've all gone to their new homes, will I miss them? Definitely. Will I do it all over again some day? That remains to be seen.




No comments:

Post a Comment