Saturday, November 24, 2012

And Then There Was One

Eight weeks and one day after they were born, all but one of Vega's puppies has left the nest -- or the pool, or the whelping box, or the garage -- depending on how you look at it.

The four girls went to homes that already have a dog or two in the family, so those puppies will have at least one other four-legged friend in the family to keep them company. And owner(s) who I hope will spoil them at least a little.


The little boy who is still at my house, of course has Mama Vega to keep him in line and Uncle Reacher who is already grooming him to be his partner in crime.

The other three males left for a police canine training school in South Carolina. This was a litter of working dogs, after all!
 So now it is much quieter at my house. The pool has been scrubbed and is about to be returned. The whelping box has been cleaned and disassembled. The surrounding fortress taken apart. The pans for the puppy food put back in the cabinet. 

The cedar shavings have been swept up. The play yard fence folded up and put away. And there is room once again in the garage to park the van. 



Am I sad the puppies are gone? Not as sad as I thought I would be eight weeks ago. Do I miss all those cute puppy faces and the sweet puppy breath? I've got hundreds of pictures and memories to last a lifetime. Am I happy I had this litter of eight? Yes!! It was an amazing experience. Did I learn a lot about dogs, Mother Nature, puppies and myself? Definitely. Was I good at this? Amazingly so. Is it an experience worth repeating? All I have to say about that is, it would be tough to top perfection.

 
 


All photos taken by Alex Benignowww.AlexBenigno.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment