Saturday, July 12, 2014

Muffin Man


 
The scene of the crime was recreated.
I wouldn't call myself a baker, but this summer I have whipped up a couple of batches of muffins. My guests and I are not the only ones who ones who've enjoyed them.
 
The dogs weren't offered any, of course. But Reacher decided to help himself. To both batches.
 
If you read the recent "Home Alone" blog, I am proud to report that Reacher continues to be on his best behavior when I'm not around. It's while I'm in the house that he gets into trouble. 
 
Both cases of muffin snatching happened while I was only rooms away. And both times, the bags of muffins were far back on the kitchen counter where I assumed they were safe.
 
After the first incident, I wisely placed the ziplock bag of leftover muffins in the pantry. My big mistake was failing to put them back behind closed doors after enjoying one -- or two -- at breakfast. Instead, I slid them to the rear of the counter and went about my morning routine. 
 
Apparently, that was the opening Reacher was waiting for. I didn't see him devouring his bag of loot as I walked back down the steps. But when he heard me coming, he quickly left the crime scene and peaked around the corner. His guilty face told me all I needed to know.
 
Reacher didn't have time to finish all the muffins. He did have time to create lots of crumbs and leave plenty of his Boxer slobber. I won't be eating any more.
 
I learned two things from this latest incident: Food left on the kitchen counter closest to the backsplash is still only a paw's reach away. And the name Reacher is quite fitting for this muffin man.








No comments:

Post a Comment